Check Out Events Happening in Toronto
- This event has passed.
TIFF Street Festival
September 6 - September 9Free
It’s back for its fifth instalment! The excitement and fun of the Toronto International Film Festival pour out from the theatres onto TIFF Festival Street and all the way up to the rooftop of TIFF Bell Lightbox. On opening weekend, September 6 to 9, King Street West between Peter Street and University Avenue will transform into the TIFF street party.”
SHARE HER JOURNEY RALLY
Stand up for change with TIFF on the morning of Saturday, September 8 for the Share Her Journey Rally. All who want to see and be part of real change in the film industry are invited to join the action down on John Street at the Slaight Music Stage at 10 am. With the support of partners ReFrame, TIME’S UP, and #AfterMeToo, we will hear from thought leaders and inspirational guests.
MORE MOVIES AND MUSIC FOR FREE
The beating heart of TIFF Festival Street is the people of Toronto. To say thank you to our great community, TIFF has partnered with the TTC once again to express some of that gratitude. Through this partnership, TIFF and the TTC are helping film fans get even more access to great movies for FREE. Street teams are set to distribute free Festival and TIFF Bell Lightbox tickets, culminating in a special TTC Free Screening at Roy Thomson Hall on September 9. This Festival event is open to all TTC riders — just bring your Metropass or PRESTO card for entry!*
There is something for everyone to take part in on Festival Street. This year, we’re honouring of some of the film industry’s trailblazing women. Audiences can catch a free, 30th-anniversary screening of Penny Marshall’s classic, Big, starring Tom Hanks as a kid who wishes he was grown up. Attendees can also listen to great music from Kayla Diamond and other up-and-coming talents on the Slaight Music Stage. For full lineup details, visit tiff.net.
Visitors are also welcome to grab a drink at one of the extended patios. Sample delicious treats from an array of food trucks, and have fun with the many engaging partner activations. Last year, TIFF Festival Street saw 150,000 visitors in its four days and was a driving force behind increased revenue for local businesses.
REFINERY29 FESTIVAL ROOFTOP
TIFF Festival Street reaches new heights this year with the introduction of the Refinery29 Festival Rooftop. An intimate and interactive space that offers exciting and new Festival experiences. Combined with an unmissable after-party on the top floor of TIFF Bell Lightbox. At the event, you can:
- Enter the whirlwind of Festival with a clear mind and a sense of calm thanks to MISFITSTUDIO’s movement session The Calm Before the Storm: A Mindful Festival Kickoff. Stretch next to talent including Amanda Crew (Freaks, Silicon Valley). Hear advice from a panel of lifestyle experts and guests from the film world
- Check out a live taping of Refinery29’s popular Facebook Live pop culture and entertainment show The Mention with a spotlight on the film Life Itself
- Celebrate homegrown talent at Toronto on the Rise. An intimate panel and meet-and-greet with some of the city’s brightest up-and-coming stars, including Stephan James (If Beale Street Could Talk, Homecoming), Shamier Anderson (Destroyer), Lamar Johnson (The Hate U Give), Jess Salgueiro (Workin’ Moms, MOUTHPIECE) and Mouna Traoré (In Contempt, American Gods), hosted by eTalk’s Traci Melchor
- Take part in an interactive panel and workshop on The Magic of Movie Makeup. Attendees can learn makeup tips for everyday use from celebrity makeup artist Lucky Bromhead (Schitt’s Creek). Plus, listen to insider tricks for special effects from prosthetic makeup masters Jordan Samuel (The Shape of Water, Crimson Peak, Pacific Rim) and Sean Sansom (The Shape of Water, IT, Carrie). All audience participants will receive a L’Oréal Paris gift at the end of the session.
At nightfall, TIFF Bell Lightbox’s rooftop will play host to the Official TIFF After-Party. Presented by nightlife legends 1 OAK and in partnership with Oliver & Bonacini.
Latest posts by VIBE Team (see all)
- They’re back: Cookies for a Cause — bringing back Smiles - September 17, 2018
- Chef’s Party is Back with Glitz, Glam & Cinema to celebrate a great TIFF - September 11, 2018
- 5 Ways to Look and Feel Younger - September 10, 2018