After taking part in an exclusive cooking class with Avocados from Mexico, the team at View the VIBE got inspired to try and incorporate more of the versatile superfood into every day life.
Smooth, buttery, healthy, and tasty, avocado is your new best friend. If you think all these babies are good for is making a nice guacamole, think again. Avocados have all the right fats in all the right places and make the best base for beauty treatments and flavourful dishes. Here are 15 delicious, easy, and unique ways to use and enjoy avocado!
1. Creamy Avocado Mint Bars: Low fat and dairy free! Chocolate lovers, you’re welcome. There are easy dessert recipes like this all over the internet. Yum!
2. Avocado as butter: Did you know that pretty much any recipe that calls for butter can be substituted for avocado? It cuts down the calories by a gazillion (accuracy may be a bit off) and, a lot of the time, adds even more flavour to the food. Tip: substitute butter on toast with avocado — you will not regret it.
3. Avocado & honey hair mask: You want shiny, healthy hair? Avocado is here to help you. All you need is an avocado, some honey and olive or coconut oil. Keep it on your hair for at least 60 minutes and then, after a shampoo, voila!
4. Avocado face mask: Perfect for any skin type, all you’ll need is 1/2 a ripe avocado, 1 whole egg, 1 tbsp Greek yogurt, and 1 tsp baking soda. Put this on a freshly washed face for 30 minutes and let the avocado do its magic. Once you wash it off, you’ll instantly see results.
5. Guacamole: Grab some nachos, onions, tomatoes, garlic, lime, and salt and pepper for a traditional guacamole. Or invent one of your own by adding ingredients like chill powder, cilantro, or shallots. It’s easy — experiment!
7. Body, lip, and foot scrub: If your skin is dry and flaky, an avocado scrub is the perfect way to go. It moisturizes while getting rid of all that gross flakiness. Blend 1 ripe avocado, 1/4 cup oatmeal, and 2 tbsp of raw, organic honey.
8. Caesar salad dressing: Everyone loves a good Caesar salad, but they’re not exactly Weight Watchers-friendly. They’re essentially the Big Mac of the salad scene, with a calorie count to match. Lucky for us weight conscious and lactose-free folk, you can still enjoy a nice chicken ceaser guilt-free (read: less shamefully) but making it at home. Just substitute cream for avocado in your regular Caesar dressing recipe and enjoy!
9. Avocado cream cheese: Instead of buying light cream cheese, just mix half an avocado with a half cup of cream cheese and spread away. Not only is it healthier, but it’s also tastier. Or try this more flavourful recipe.
10. Avocado smoothie: Adding avocado to any smoothie is an excellent idea. The benefits of avocado are insane and it’s bound to make any smoothie even more delicious but our favourite has to be the banana, spinach, peanut butter, avocado smoothie. Seriously, blend these up together and reap the benefits.
11. Avocado, banana and Greek yogurt pancakes: These stacks are healthy and delicious!
12. Avocado pesto: Is pesto sauce your favourite? Try using avocado instead of cheese.
13. Avocado hand cream: Everyone’s hands need a little TLC, especially after the winter months. Grab a 1/4 fully ripened avocado, 1 egg white, 2 tbsp rolled oats, and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Mix it together and massage onto your hands. After leaving it on for 20 minutes, rinse with warm water. Your hands with feel smooth as a baby’s bottom.
14.Vegan avocado mayonnaise: Vegans have a lot of dietary restrictions though mayonnaise no longer has to be one of them. You’ll need 2 avocados, 1 tbsp of white vinegar, juice of ½ lemon, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, and ⅛ teaspoon onion powder. Mix it all up, refrigerate, and slather it on any sandwich.
15. Avocado fruit salad: Bored of your morning berry mix? Add some avocado! Sprinkle some brown sugar on top and eat this tasty and healthy treat guilt-free.
What are some of your favourites from our “15 Surprising Uses for Avocado“? Let View the VIBE know by tweeting us @ViewTheVibe.