Almost two-thirds of American families own a grill or a smoker, but how many can boast a flat-topped grill in their repertoire?
If you’re one of the lucky ones who do, you’ve probably already discovered the versatility of this handy outdoor cooking appliance. There’s always room for more recipes when it comes to outdoor entertaining though.
So, if you’re on the hunt for inspiration, check out these flat-top grill recipes and get cooking.
1. Flat-Top Grill Recipes for Pancakes
Pancakes are one of the most popular things to cook on a flat-topped grill, but that doesn’t mean they have to be boring. Try something different for a change.
Here are two top recipes for flat-top grill enthusiasts to enjoy.
Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- 2 cups of whole wheat pancake mix
- 1 large banana, chopped finely
- ½ cup of old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup of chopped walnuts
- Prepare the pancake batter according to the package directions.
- Stir in the oats, walnuts, and banana.
- Heat your flat-top grill until it’s hot and spray it with non-stick spray
- Pour ¼ cupfuls of the batter onto your flat top grill.
- Fry until bubbles form on the top of the pancakes, then flip.
- Cook them until both sides are golden brown
Cranberry Chip Pancakes
- ½ cup of frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of pancake mix
- 1 t grated orange zest
- ¼ cup of orange juice
- ¼ cup of white baking chips
- Cook the cranberries in ½ cup of water for about ten minutes until the berries pop.
- Combine the pancake mix with orange zest, juice, and enough of the remaining water to moisten it slightly.
- Add the chips to the mix.
- Drain the cranberries and fold them into the batter.
- Warm your grill until it’s hot and coat it with non-stick spray.
- Pour ¼ cupfuls of batter onto the hot griddle and cook them until bubbles form on top. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side until golden.
2. Grilled Smash Burgers
Burgers deserve a place on every flat top grill menu. Here’s how to make the best smash burgers in town on your flat-top grill. They’re good enough for any summer barbecue.
- 2 lbs. of 80/20 ground beef
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- A pinch each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- 8 strips of bacon
- Preheat your grill as hot as possible while cooking the bacon.
- Drain the fat from the bacon and set it aside while you make the patties.
- From loose patties into 3 or 4 oz balls and sprinkle them with the seasonings.
- Place the patties on the grill and smash them with a large spatula, pressing down with a second spatula to keep them together. Slide the spatula off afterward. This keeps the patty against the grill.
- Cook the patties for two to three minutes on each side. Then add the cheese and close the lid of the grill. Cook the cheese for two to four minutes until it’s melted.
- Stack two patties on top of each buttered bun, top with bacon and your favorite sauces and serve.
3. Meat Loaf Gyros
The best flat top grill recipes aren’t limited to breakfast and burgers. These gyros are an awesome way to repurpose leftover meat into a tasty snack. Here’s how you do it:
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 T of dried oregano
- 1½ t of kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1 medium-sized cucumber
- 2 T of lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 8 pita breads
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 16 slices of tomato
- 8 slices of sweet onion
Combine the egg and seasonings in a large bowl and crumble the meat over the top. Mix well.
Place the meat mixture into an ungreased 9×5 inch loaf pan and pat it down. Bake the meatloaf at 350° F for 60-70 minutes uncovered.
Remove it from the oven and cool completely before refrigerating for one to two hours.
To make the tzatziki sauce, peel, de-seed, and chop the cucumber, then combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the mix until needed.
Brush each pita bread with oil and heat them on your flat top grill for about 1 minute on each side. Keep the pita bread warm. Cut the meatloaf into thin slices and fry it on the grill until it’s crisp.
Layer tomato, sliced onion, and meatloaf into each pita bread, top with tzatziki sauce, and carefully fold the pitas in half. Serve the gyros with the leftover sauce.
4. Sweet Tapiocas
Who says you can’t cook dessert on your outdoor flat top grill? Tapiocas are a South American crepe-style dessert that you can enjoy with a variety of fillings. Here’s how to make them on your flat-top grill:
- 1 cup of tapioca flour
- ½ cup of water
- Place the flour in a large bowl and slowly add the water to the tapioca flour one teaspoon at a time, mixing with your fingers.
- Break down any big clumps as you go along.
- Set the mix aside for five minutes then sieve it into another bowl. You may need to press it through with a spoon.
- Oil your grill and heat it up. You need to work fast when cooking these crepes.
- Sprinkle the mix evenly on the grill in a circle and let it cook for 30 seconds. Turn it with a spatula and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
You can top your tapiocas with any of the following ingredients before rolling them up and enjoying your dessert. Try these:
- Chocolate and peanuts
- Chocolate hazelnut spread with chocolate sprinkles
- Banana, honey, and cinnamon
- Cream cheese and coconut
- Ice cream
Making the Most of Your Flat-Top BBQ Grill
This by no means a comprehensive collection of the best flat-top grill recipes. The way to get the most out of your grille is by experimenting with dishes of your own.
You’re sure to come up with some unique favorites to suit your family’s tastes at every mealtime.
For more of the best tips on everything food-related, keep browsing our blog. We specialize in everything to do with food, from restaurants to recipes.