A battle has raged throughout time. Each side has its staunch supporters and detractors. In the battle for the best lashes, who reigns supreme? There are three camps in Battle Eyelash, each defined by their skill, affordability, and results. Let’s examine the key players…
Let’s be honest: Either you love them or you hate them. If applied incorrectly they can look cartoonish and heavy. They may also resemble that disturbing art installation where flies’ legs were used as “mascara.” (I’ll let you Google that on your own.) At the best of times, falsies can elevate any look to superstar proportions. In order to achieve full falsie application success, remember three things:
- Measure – Before application, hold the lashes against your lash line to establish the best fit. Make sure the end of the falsie aligns with the outer edge of the eye.
- Trim – Although it’s fine to use the lashes as-is, it’s in your best interest to trim the lashes according to your eye shape for a more realistic appearance. Always trim the outer edge of the lashes, not the inner portion.
- Fill in your lash line– In order to blend your lashes, fill in your upper waterline (called ‘tightlining’) and line your lid with black eyeliner to help blend the false lashes
– Ideal for those with small or thin lashes who want a fuller, more dramatic look
– Practice makes perfect; it may take time to perfect the skill of application
If you’re a beginner, it’s best to invest in expensive lashes until you find a knack for application. I recommend NYX Wicked Lashes as they’re made with natural hair and are easy to apply.
Lash Extending Serums
Lash enhancers can range from simple eyelash primers to complex, multi-part systems. When it comes to makeup, I tend to err on the side of simplicity. In this case, there is a clear contender for lash-extending supremacy. Available at Sephora, the Givenchy Mister Lash Booster is a transparent serum that helps strengthen and smooth lashes.
– Strengthens lashes and can be applied both under mascara and as an overnight serum
– It’s a bit pricey; $33 for the small size
If you’re looking to go the natural (and inexpensive) way, purchase some Castor Oil. I use this stuff nightly on my lashes as it bolsters hair growth while strengthening and moisturizing my lashes.
Mascara is the gateway drug of all eyelash products. It’s accessible, affordable, and does the job well. While not all mascaras are created equal, it is possible to find something worthwhile in every price range. To maximize the effects of any mascara, remember:
- Mascara should be replaced every three to four months to avoid eye infections
- Curl lashes prior to application to get the maximum effect
- Apply moving from root to tip
– Affordable way to highlight lashes
– Short shelf life leads to constant re-purchasing
If you’re in the mood to splurge, pick up Lancôme’s Hypnôse Mascara – it defines lashes without looking clumpy. For a more budget-friendly option, nothing beats the tried and true Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in its signature pink and green packaging.
What are some of your tips and tricks to making your lashes stand out? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us @ViewTheVibe.