It’s easy to appreciate how far the beauty industry has come. Products are available for those of almost all skin tones and budgets, a feat which should never be taken for granted.
Although the future is always promising, there’s something to be said about the importance of history. Now before you yawn, rest assured that there will be no projector-based presentations. That being said, there’s no time like the present to take a look back and appreciate the makeup brands that have set the stage for budget-friendly, generation-spanning beauty products. Plus, you’ll have cool facts to share at your next dinner party. (Kidding… unless you happen to be at a dinner full of MUAs). Take a gander at some beauty brands that have stood the test of time…
– Founded in 1946 by Estée Lauder and husband Joseph in New York
– Originally carried four skin-care based products
– Was the first to offer a men’s skin care line through the Clinique brand
– Popular professional makeup brand Stila was owned by the company until 2006
Budget Beauty Pick: Although most items are above the $30 mark, the brand does offer free shipping and a free product sample with a purchase.
– Founded by the namesake in 1910
– Developed cosmetics for women serving in WWII
– Arden was an early advocate of yoga in the 1920s
– Arden was an early advocate of women’s rights
Budget Beauty Pick: History may not come cheap, but this Luminous Lip Gloss is award-winning, which justifies the $18 price tag.
– Founded in 1834 as The House of Rimmel
– Started by famous French perfumer and apprentice Eugene Rimmel
– Early focus was devoted to perfume, but Rimmel later became known for its mascaras and eye makeup
– Rimmel was acquired by a British ad agency, turning it into the streetwise and affordable brand known today
Budget Beauty Pick: Choosing just one is a minor injustice, but my current vote goes to the Kate Moss-approved Apocalips Lip Lacquer for under $10.
What are some of your favourite vintage beauty brands? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us @ViewTheVibe.