February is officially Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month. While it began in the US, it is officially recognized in Canada as well. It’s a time to remember and celebrate various Black talent across different industries and platform. And in that spirit, we want to focus on one particular social media platform: TikTok.
Black creatives have played a vital role in creating iconic cultural moments. They’re using TikTok to showcase everything from Black hair, to social justice, to financial advice and jokes to keep us in good spirits during difficult times.
If you want to know about some of these creators, we’ve got you covered. Check out the following Black content creators, who are based in our very own Toronto.
Activist / Educational Creators
- @yomrants– BLM education and “queen” of unpopular opinions
- @sincerelyexmiranda – Rap and funky hip hop
- @itszaybaybay – Creative makeup tutorials and queen of wig transitions
- @damnthatschev – Awe-inspiring transformations
- @draco.dez – Bold beauty
- @definitelytai – Creative fashion edits
- @lexsonator – Style and outfit inspirations
- @emmanuel.uddenberg – Stylish outfit of the days
- @edenthefoodie – Cultural food recipes
Looking to support Black owned businesses in the GTA? Check out our list here.