For whatever reason, you’re on the hunt for a new job. Don’t cry! We’ve all been there. This phase of your life will be stressful and overwhelming, but it’s probably been years since you rifled through newspaper classified ads. Where do you begin in 2015? In this day and age, a fabulous resume just isn’t enough. The best place to start the job hunt and get promoting yourself is LinkedIn. Yes, that thing you started a couple years ago and haven’t touched since. Vv Magazine has compiled five quick steps to get you and your LinkedIn profile back on track.
1. Don’t underestimate the importance of a catchy headline. Forbes Magazine says these 120 characters are the most important in your profile. Brand yourself! Don’t forget to use keywords.
2. Be an active user. Publish and share posts related to material that interests you. Follow the prompts telling you to congratulate your connections. Being present on the platform makes you more visible to everyone, including potential employers. Bonus tip: status updates will be seen by more users from 11am-3pm.
3. Add media. Words are SO 10 years ago. Understanding our visual culture is a key to success, and LinkedIn offers you the chance to share videos, photos, and links so you can show people what you’re capable of instead of just telling them.
4. Rewrite your summary. You want the tone to strike a balance between friendly and professional. Make yourself out to be the kind of person you’d want to hire.
5. Get involved in groups. Again, it’s all about visibility. Being part of the right groups will also help you stay in the loop with industry advances, job openings, and will get your name out into the big bad world.
What are some of your tips on how to create a great LinkedIn profile? Let Vv Magazine know in the comments below or tweet us @ViewTheVibe.