Line-up too long at Timmie’s? Starbucks too expensive? Sometimes we all have to bite the bullet and make our own cuppa joe. Here’s how to make a DIY perfect cup of coffee — every time.
Most of us cannot take responsibility for anything we say or do before we have our first cup of coffee in the morning. Until that first java jolt, we mostly spend the first half of the day wandering around aimlessly, full zombie mode. Since getting behind the wheel of a car in our un-caffeinated state puts the entire Gardiner Expressway at risk, it’s for the common good that we’ve come up with five simple steps to making the perfect cup of coffee.
1. Buy fresh beans. The sooner you buy the beans after they’ve been roasted, the more flavourful your coffee will be. FYI, buying whole beans also means getting a grinder. If you are a java junkie at the same level as us, with all the money you’ll be saving on Starbucks, it will probably pay for itself in about a month.
2. Buy high quality coffee. Much like American politics and millennial interpersonal relationships, you get what you pay for. You’re hardly a hipster snob if you crave the rich, bold flavours of Arabica beans. You are a hipster if you name your kitten/puppy/son Arabica, however.
3. Don’t skimp when buying filters. Look for key terms like ‘oxygen bleached’ or ‘dioxin-free’ because they give your coffee maximum flavour. They’re also what we look for on Tinder profiles.
4. Pay attention to your ratio. The magic numbers are 2 tablespoons of coffee for every 6oz of water. Anything less and you may as well be drinking Scarborough sewage water aka Folgers.
5. Find the right mug. A cup of joe is only as good as the mug you drink it from. Pay attention to the weight, the shape, and the design for ultimate enjoyment of that morning pick-me-up. Also qualities we look for in a Tinder profile, am right girls?
What are some of your tips on a DIY perfect cup of coffee? Let Vv Magazine know in the comments below or follow us @ViewTheVibe.