Although #BlackLivesMatter may have started in the US due to the systemic racism, we mustn’t forget about similar issues going on in Canada as well. This was recently brought to light even more, with the death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet. It was reported that the 29-year-old woman in Toronto fell to her death from a balcony following a confrontation with the police.
Chants of “#JusticeForRegis” could be heard through the streets in the city as thousands protested a few days ago. The peaceful protest was organized by Not Another Black Life and began at Christie Pits park, from where the group headed to the Toronto Police Headquarters. Protests were also held in Montreal and Vancouver on May 31st.
With more protests scheduled to take place all across the country, it is important to keep in mind significant information for both the safety and peace of the gatherings.
#BlackLivesMatter Peaceful Protests across Canada:
- Regina: June 2, 11am and June 7, 1pm @ Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan.
- Peterborough: June 2, 12pm @ Millennium Park.
- Kingston: June 2, 4:30pm @ McBurney Park.
- Kitchener/Waterloo: June 3, 5pm @ Victoria Park.
- Kelowna: June 5, 12pm @ Stuart Park Ice Rink.
- Thunder Bay: June 5, 3pm @ Waverly Park.
- Winnipeg: June 5, 6pm @ Manitoba Legislative Building. Follow IG: @justice4blackliveswinnipeg
- Niagara Falls: June 6, 12pm-4pm @ Victoria Ave./Hwy-420 Intersection. Demonstrators to stand 6’ft apart on sidewalk along Victoria Ave, on both sides of the road starting at Hwy-420 entrance. All participants to wear black to show unity.
- London: June 6, 3pm @ Victoria Park. Follow IG: @blacklivesmatterlondon
- Sarnia: June 13, 3pm @ 255 Christina St. N.
- Ottawa: June 5, 3pm @ Ottawa US Embassy. Follow IG: @nopeaceuntiljusticeottawa
Signing petitions really do go a long way and are a great way for you to show support.Sign More Petitions
Put your money where your mouth is. Literally. Find a specific cause you or your business want to align with, that supports the BLM movement and donate. We also encourage you to share and encourage others to do so too!
- Justice for Regis GoFundMe
- Black Lives Matter Toronto Donation
- Toronto Protest Bail Fund
- Ottawa Protest Bail Fund
- Black Health Alliance
- Black Legal Action Centre
- Black Youth Helpline
- Black Liberation Collective
- Black Artists’ Network in Dialogue
- Unist’ot’en 2020 Legal Fund
- Black Women in Action
- Federation of Black Canadians
- Across Boundaries
- Black Visions Collective
- Nia Centre for the Arts
- Tropicana Community Services
- Black Business and Professional Association
- Feed the Community – Covid Emergency Support (Organized by Black Toronto Community Support)
You can also support by reaching out to a Member of Parliament or any other elected officials, or send a text or message to these general lines:
- City Councillor Gord Perks – Parkdale – High Park 416 329-7919
- MPP Bhutilla Karpoche – Parkdale – High Park 416-763-5639
- MP Arif Virani – Parkdale – High Park 416-769-5072
- Mayor of Toronto John Tory 416-397-2489
- Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders 416-808-2222
- Solicitor General – Minister Sylvia Jones 416-325-0408 / 519-941-7751
- Attorney General of Ontario Dough Downey 416-326-2220 / 705-726-5538
Special Investigations Unit:
The Special Investigations Unit (French: Unité des enquêtes spéciales, SIU or “the Unit”) is the civilian oversight agency responsible for investigating circumstances involving police that have resulted in a death, serious injury, or allegations of sexual assault of a civilian in Ontario, Canada.
Toll-free phone: 1-800-787-8529
Local phone: 416-622-0SIU (0748)
Communications Coordinator: Monica Hudon
Local phone: 416-622-2342
SIU Director: Joseph Martino
Local phone: 416-622-2381
Thank you. Feel free to share and show your support.