The COVID-19 pandemic has forced millions of people around the world to adapt to social-distancing practices and self-quarantine orders as we collectively wait for the spread of the virus to slow down. While most of us understand the importance of abiding by these orders, we’re still finding it hard to maintain a sense of normalcy in these complicated circumstances.
First, know that you’re not alone in this—we’re all going through it together. Just check out our Quarantine Chronicles series to see what we mean. And in addition to having a network of global support, there are several things you can do to stay uplifted, balanced, and sane during this crisis. Read on to find out how!
Stick with a schedule
When you’ve got nowhere to go and no one to see, it’s seriously tempting to want to spend all day in your pajamas and watch cat videos for hours on end, but you might want to rethink your routine. Sticking with a loose schedule is actually essential to preserving your physical, mental, and emotional wellness, and it can make long days at home much more enjoyable.
We’re not saying you need to keep up a rigorous routine, but waking up at a “normal” hour, getting a quick workout in, and setting time aside to be productive is a great way to help you find balance in such chaotic times.
If you’re able to work remotely, keeping up with a separate work-life schedule is probably pretty doable, but unfortunately, many Canadians have recently become unemployed due to the global health crisis. Besides being a financial and social challenge, being jobless in the midst of a pandemic can become seriously monotonous. If you’re looking for ways to keep up a routine, check out these ideas:
- Look for freelance work opportunities to help make ends meet in the meantime.
- Update your resume and draft a basic cover letter or template to prepare for the job market’s recovery.
- Learn a new skill like a new language, illustration, or web development.
- Catch up on those books that have been collecting dust on your shelves.
While it’s important to maintain a routine to some extent, you shouldn’t feel like every hour of your time should be filled throughout the day. Taking breaks is actually essential to your creativity and wellness. If you’re a cannabis consumer, finding ways to zone out and recharge your spirit should be pretty easy. Just munch on a THC edible, apply a CBD cream, or break out your vape kit for some quick indulgence.
With the concern over respiratory health amid the spread of COVID-19, make sure you’re using the safest CBD vape juice or THC vape juice available. While you certainly want to prioritize your sanity with natural medicine, you certainly don’t want to put your physical health on the line, especially in the midst of a widespread pandemic.
Prioritize your physical health
Exercise is essential to staying physically healthy, but it’s also an important tool to improve and maintain your mental health, too. Thankfully, there are tons of great workouts you can do from home during the shutdown:
- Check out Instagram fitness bloggers such as:
- Join a virtual gym
- Dance to your favorite jams
- Do some yoga stretches
- Go on a long walk or run through your neighborhood
- Practice weight lifting using items around the house (cans, textbooks, and wine bottles make for the perfect makeshift weights)
- Order a hula hoop online and turn on some Latin music
Stay connected with loved ones
As we mentioned earlier in this post, you should know you’re not alone in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic. Your friends, neighbors, and family members are going through it, too! Be sure to check in on them and share your experiences with one another as much as you can—and don’t forget to share some laughs!
Here are some fun activities to do with your friends and family while under lockdown:
- Play games using the HouseParty app
- Host a virtual happy hour with your colleagues
- Throw a virtual game night for friends and family
- Dress up in quirky costumes for a fun spin on video chat
How are you holding up during these crazy times? Share your tips with us in the comment section below.