One of the most extraordinary places in the world, Napa Valley, is synonymous with some of the world’s finest wines. This small area is the epicentre of California wine making and is making some of the best wine in the world.
Napa Valley’s history boasts more than 150 years of tradition with grapes first planted in 1838-39 and the first commercial winery founded in 1861. Vineyards in Napa can be found from sea level all the way to about 2,400 feet. There are vineyards and wineries on top of mountains with rare volcanic soil underneath. Fresh ocean air runs through the vines keeping the grapes cool and giving sophistication and elegance to the award winning, iconic, and globally adored and appreciated wines.
RELATED: 5 Best Vegan Dessert Shops In Toronto >>>
Napa Valley Facts
- Napa Valley is a very small wine region that is segregated into 16 even smaller approved American Viticultural Areas
- Each AVA has different soils and microclimates, it is here that you can find half of the world’s 12 recognized soils!
- The valley floor is 30 miles long and just 5 miles across at its widest point
- Stunningly beautiful, Napa Valley produces a mere 4% of all the wine coming from California.
- Napa is blessed with a rare and dry Mediterranean climate, which covers only 2% of the Earth’s surface making it exceptionally unique.
- The diverse and volcanic soils in the area combined with an idyllic climate, make Napa Valley perfectly suited for producing a wide variety of consistent, high quality wines.
- More than 65% of Napa County vineyard land is enrolled or certified in the Napa Green Land program, which is one of only four sustainable winegrowing programs nationwide focusing on soil-to-bottle certification in both the vineyard and winery. Napa Green provides a pathway for growers to improve soil health, become carbon neutral to negative within six to nine years, and increase the resilience of vineyards, businesses, and the Napa Valley community
#WinesthatGiveBack. -Napa Valley is also a region that truly focuses on GIVING BACK! Overall, Napa Valley Vintners have invested more than $200 million in local health and children’s education nonprofits and is a region who truly puts every angle of sustainability first!
Right now at the LCBO there is a very special release of Napa Valley wines that are selling out quickly, here are a few that are still available for you to add to your cellar and open to elevate a wonderful dinner at home.
Here are 6 wines from Napa Valley you need to check out
Located in the heart of Napa Valley, St. Supery, has been growing grapes since mid1880’s. They have an optical sorting for premium berry selection. Why is this Sauv Blanc so special? Well, 16% is fermented in new French oak barrels and it is also aged ‘sur lie’ meaning the wine spends time on it’s yeast cells to add complexity, texture and a depth. St. Supéry Vineyards and Winery is 100% Napa Green Certified! From Soil to Bottle, to the winery and to the land! So you can sip with confidence.
Made by Jenny Wagner she named this wine after her mother, Cheryl Emmolo. Her father Chuck Wagner founded Caymus Vineyards so great winemaking is definitely in her genes. This wine is earthy and expressive, luxurious, dark and balanced wine. If you want to fall in merlove, open this bottle and see Merlot in a whole new light.
Located on the grounds of a historic equestrian center, Black Stallion Winery is the latest addition to the distinguished collection of wineries in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley. The wine is named after the Silverado Horseman’s Centre that was once on the grounds and the wine is aged in new french oak giving it a super luxurious texture and velvety tannins. Definitely decant this wine, or cellar it for 5+ years.
If you’re a Zinfandel lover, this bottle is pure #Zintastic! California’s Heritage Grape you have to adore Zinfandel. Frank Family Vineyards is housed in Napa Valley’s historic Larkmead Winery owns 450 acres of the finest vineyards in Napa Valley founded in 1992 and just like the name says is family owned!
This Zinfandel is one of the finest from California and is aged for 16 months in 33% new / 67% once and twice-filled F/O barrels. with notes of dark plums, black pepper, raspberry pie and even dried roses and violets this wine is DYNAMITE! With spice and fruit balanced with freshness it will make your heart and palate swoon!
Frank Family Vineyards is 100% Napa Green Certified! From Soil to Bottle, to the winery and to the land! So you can feel truly wonderful about everything about this winery, the wine and the vineyard practices.
Sinegal Estate Winery produces four wines on nine and a half acres of organic vines in Napa Valley. The winery is simply gorgeous with a beautifully-restored stone winery and 6,500 square feet of underground caves. Owner David Sinegal has set the goals – preserve traditions, cherish the land, modernize the facilities, and deliver an authentic experience. This wine has pure energy! It’s savoury and simply divine!
In keeping with Mondavi family traditions, farming of the Michael Mondavi Family Estate vineyards adhere to sustainable and organic standards. All vineyards are farmed sustainably and our estate vineyards are certified Napa Green. This extremely rare and limited edition wine is made from 58% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec for an exquisite taste that will have your eyes rolling to the back of your head and your palate wishing you had bought more bottles.