Each year, over 75 million tourists visit the US. From the beautiful beaches of California to the red rocks of Arizona to the snow-capped mountains of Colorado, it’s no wonder so many people flock the US each year.
But, before traveling to the US, it’s very important that you get your travel documents together so that you’re allowed entry.
Check out this guide to learn what you need to know when applying for travel documents.
Understand the Mandatory Documents You’ll Need
First things first, let’s take a look at the mandatory documents you’ll need in order to travel to the US.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Your original passport with 6 month’s validity from your planned date of entry into the US (for example, if you plan to enter the US on Jan 1, 2020, then the earliest your passport can expire is July 1, 2020)
- All of your old passports
- One passport-sized photograph per document specification (make sure to have both hard and digital copies of these photos)
- Valid receipt as proof of payment for your visa
- Printout of your US interview appointment letter
- DS160 US Visa application confirmation page that’s stamped by the embassy
In addition, you may also need some supporting documents. These include:
- Proof of funds
- Travel itinerary
- Business card (if you have one)
- Copy of your previous year’s tax documents
- PAN card/Tax ID
- If employed, letter of employment verification
- If employed by the government, a NOC document
- If you’re self-employed, proof of income or business ownership
While the supporting documents are not mandatory, they can help ensure entry.
Get the Right Visa
When traveling to the US, it’s very important that you apply for the right visa. Otherwise, your entry may be denied and you won’t be able to go on your trip.
If you’re traveling on holiday, then you’re going to need a visitor visa, unless your country participates in a US visa waiver program.
If you’re traveling for business, you’ll need a B-1 visitor visa. If you’re traveling for fun, you’ll need a B-2 visitor visa. To apply for the visa, you’ll need to go to the US embassy in your city.
Before heading to the embassy office, you should complete the online DS-160 form. You should also print and fill out the visa application for the website, and bring with you two passport-sized photos.
If you’re from a country that’s a part of the visa waiver program, then you need to fill out an ESTA application. This application can be filled out online and has a $4 processing fee.
Applying for Travel Documents: Are You Ready to Visit the US?
Now that you know about applying for travel documents for the US, it’s time to get the process started.
Although dealing with travel documents can be a hassle, remember, the sooner you start, the better.
And, if you liked this blog post, be sure to check back in for more travel-related tips and tricks.