Vv Magazine’s Vancouver editor Alexandra Gill primes you on what’s good at this year’s Vancouver International Film Festival.
Decisions, decisions. The Vancouver International Film Festival once again presents us with the near-impossible of task of navigating the cinematic smorgasbord about to unspool in theatres across the city.
The 34th edition, which kicks off tomorrow, will offer more than 375 films from 70 countries over the next two weeks. When you consider all the exclusive premieres, splashy galas, obscure documentaries from far-flung countries and avant-garde art flicks that might never be shown here again, the choices become even more daunting.
Fear not, novice festivalgoers. Like almost everything in life these days, VIFF has dramatically improved its packaging. The theme-based series, which curate films by broad strokes of interest, are an excellent way of narrowing down the choices.
Are you a social justice crusader? Get thee signed up for The Great Divide, a group of films that illuminate the rising inequality between the world’s haves and have-nots.
In the mood for laughter, not tears? On Comedy, which explores the multifaceted, sharp edges of wit, offers several must-see documentaries about Russell Brand, Monty Python and National Lampoon.
Personally, we’re most excited about Style In Film, a series which has grown from last year’s inaugural focus on fashion to encompass style in various forms including culture, food, design and art. It is also the theme that comes with the most bling from a festival that, if we’re honest, has never really been known for its flashiness.
A $75 passport includes:
• A ticket to the Style in Film Opening Screening – The True Cost – plus red carpet welcome, panel discussion and after-soiree, all organized by Eco Fashion Week
• Invitation to the Style in Film party following the Oct 4th screening of Homme Less (your film ticket is automatically included)
• tickets to 2 additional films of your choice from the Style in Film series
• Invitation to the Grand Opening of Simons at Park Royal on Oct 14th
• Great swag from NeoStrata, London Drugs and other sponsors
Now all you have to do is choose your outfits! Check out the movies featured in Style in Film below.
Did we miss any must-see films at this year’s Vancouver International Film Festival? Let Vv Magazine know in the comments below, or tweet us @ViewtheVibe.